Questions You Should Ask Your Prospective New Boss
As a candidate preparing your questions for an interview is often as important and preparing your answers to the recruiters questions. Here are some general questions:
- What are the qualities of successful managers in this organisation?
- Is this a new role, back filling someone who was promoted or replacing someone who resigned? (if “resigned”) How long were they in the role and what was the reason for the person resigning? (if “promoted”) Will I have an opportunity to be trained and mentored by him/her? What have past employees done to succeed in this position? (if “new role”) Why was the role created and what needs to be achieved to justify the role’s creation?
- What are some challenges that will face me if selected for the role?
- Do you have any concerns about my candidacy for the role? (If so, politely try to address them.)
- If offered the position, what are the key 3 things I would need to achieve in the first 12-months?
Sources (Updated June 2020):